February 14, 2012

Moving West

As I have stated before the family joined the church in 1842 and moved to Nauvoo. In Nauvoo the last three children were born and their family was complete. After living in Nauvoo and across the river for 4 years the saints were preparing to move west. In the preparation to leave Nauvoo the Jolleys had little means and a large family. Unfortunately when they were almost ready to leave Ruben became ill and after twenty days he died in Van Buren County, Iowa.

The following is a quote from her autobiography obtained from the DUP Records
“After twenty days he died on the 29th of April 1849. I was left alone with ten children with no house and no home among strangers. I had a babe in my arms just three months old. I was all broken up. When on his deathbed my husband would talk to me and tell me what he wanted me to do. He said he was going to leave me for a little while but he wanted me, as soon as I could, to go to the calleys of the mountains, to the bosom of the church and to take all of the children with me so I bore it in mind and started to do so.”

3 comments:

  1. What a challenge! I am always astounded by the faith and courage of the pioneers. Are you tracking of of the children?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you imagine her sorrow and devastation. This record sure makes the facts of her life become real.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you included the excerpt from her autobiography. It is a gem to have her own writings.

    ReplyDelete